Top Stories

UTC to get 100 new buses for Char Dham Yatra 

Monday, 25 March 2024 | PNS | DEHRADUN

The Uttarakhand Transport Corporation (UTC) will introduce 100 new buses that will operate from Haridwar and Rishikesh during Char Dham Yatra.  Since most of the pilgrims enter the State to go to Char Dham destinations via Haridwar and Rishikesh, the corporation will ensure 100 roadways buses operate from these cities without disturbing the normal schedule of other buses. T

he officials said that UTC always operates at least 100 buses on Char Dham routes and to ensure the usual schedule of inter state and inter district buses is not disturbed in the long run, 130 buses will be added to UTC’s fleet. The corporation has completed all procedures to buy new buses which will be available before the commencement of Char Dham Yatra. The transport department also has started gearing up for Char Dham Yatra which will start in the first week of May. 

Last year, over 1,500 buses were operated during the Yatra on rotation including over 1,000 stage carriage buses and 515 contract carriage buses. This includes 100 roadways buses too. Besides this, over 3,000 additional buses were also operated including 1,900 buses from other states. According to the officials, about 40 per cent of pilgrims travelled through Roadways buses last year while the remaining 60 per cent travelled via commercial vehicles which include 14 to 16 seater vehicles.

The commercial vehicle operators of buses and taxis eligible to operate on Char Dham routes proposed a raise in fares this year but the department denied it. The officials said that the application process to get green cards and trip cards to be eligible to operate on Char Dham routes will start on April 4. The department has also appointed nodal officers, additional nodal officers and assistant nodal officers across the State to ensure smooth operation of vehicles on roads.  

Related Articles

Back to top button