Three charred to death on Deepawali in Haldwani 

Tuesday, 14 November 2023 | PNS | DEHRADUN

Three people died in a fire that broke out in a godown of a tent house in Haldwani, Nainital district on Sunday night. The incident reportedly occurred about midnight when six labourers were sleeping in the godown. Three workers managed to escape while the remaining got trapped and were burnt to death.

A senior police official from Nainital police told The Pioneer, “There is a godown of a tent house on Nawabi Road in Haldwani. The godown was closed at night and six workers were sleeping there. According to the locals, a fire broke out there around midnight. The teams of the police, district administration and fire tenders had rushed to the spot to carry out a rescue operation soon after getting the information of the fire.”

According to him, the rescue team brought the fire under control to ensure it did not spread to nearby establishments and the rescue operation was carried out till 4:30 AM on Monday. The teams recovered three charred bodies from the debris after the fire was extinguished completely. The deceased have been identified as Ravindra Kumar, Krishna and Rohit Puri who were residents of Nainital’s Ramnagar, as per the police.

On the question of the possible cause of the fire, the official said, “The cause of the fire is said to have been a spark from a cracker but we are yet to find evidence to support this theory. We cannot comment on the real cause of the fire without a technical investigation of the site. We have also sent the bodies for post-mortem after carrying out the required procedure. The families of the deceased have been informed. The police will hand over the bodies to them after completion of the necessary procedure.”

Related Articles

Back to top button