Police arrest man for spreading misinformation on social media
On Saturday a video of a COVID-19 mock drill in Uttar Pradesh was shared on the social media by a Rishikesh resident claiming it was a clip of a COVID-19 patient being caught at Natraj Chowk in Rishikesh. This misinformation was then circulated by many in Rishikesh and elsewhere. Taking cognisance of the video clip, a police team identified and arrested the person allegedly responsible for spreading the misinformation. Rishikesh police station senior sub inspector Omkant Bhushan informed this correspondent that 43 year old Rishikesh resident Manoj Kumar has been arrested and will be presented in the court.
The police appealed to the public of Rishikesh to verify facts before believing and sharing any information or video clip on the social media. In case any misinformation or rumour is found to have been circulated on the social media, immediate action will be taken and cases under relevant sections will be registered against the group administrator and person accused of spreading misinformation.
Sunday, 29 March 2020 | PNS | Haridwar
You might also like
- No community spread, lockdown fruitful March 31, 2020
- Bids on for ample Covid gear March 31, 2020
- IMA assures full support in fight against COVID-19 March 31, 2020
- Arrangements made in hospitals to treat COVID-19 patient March 31, 2020
- AIIMS Rishikesh starts COVID-19 test facility March 31, 2020