Finding online school classes inadequate, parents seek help from tutors
Considering the online classes provided by private schools inadequate for their children to perform well in the exams, parents are searching for tutors to teach their children. Since the Covid-19 pandemic hit the country, the schools in the State have been holding online classes for students but not every child is comfortable learning this way. “Initially, several parents did not consider it necessary to hire a tutor for their children but as the course of all the class subjects proceeded, we realised that our children cannot learn it all through a screen,” said Dimpi Saini, a homemaker from Rajpur. Adding to this, a local resident Ganga Desai said that about 80 per cent of online teaching is being done by teachers through pictures, YouTube video links and homework. Remaining 20 per cent is taught during the online classes but not every child gets to clear doubts regarding every subject, said Desai. The parents said that since most of the schools have announced the exams, they are bound to hire tutors for their children to clear the exams. “The teachers have taught the chapters just for formality. They teach one paragraph and tell the students to understand the remaining through the online videos and book. How will our children understand this way? They are not teaching properly but they are putting those chapters in the syllabus for the midterm exam. Obviously, we do not want to watch our kids fail the exams so we are looking for tutors but it is not easy due to Covid-19 pandemic,” said Deepa Gusain, a resident from Rudrapur. She added that she is afraid to send her kids to somebody’s home for tuitions whereas the home tutors are charging a hefty amount to teach in the present crisis.
Ram Singh, a resident of Haldwani stated that he lost his job two months back, his wife is getting half of her salary and the incompetent teaching through online classes is just adding to their woes. “We thought that at least we would not have to pay for tuition this time because the teachers will teach better online but my kids do not understand a thing in these classes. Communicating this concern to school administration is useless because they say that other students are doing fine. I do not know about other children but my children started to do better since I hired a private tutor. Even in the current scenario, the exams are important and we cannot afford to waste the time of our children anymore,” said Singh. Most of the parents stated if the school will reopen, the course of the students will be resumed by teachers from the online classes, so besides performing well in exams, they also want their children to learn better instead of struggling in class.
Thursday, 06 August 2020 | Purnima Bisht | Dehradun