Tuesday, 17 July 2018 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi– The Delhi Police has arrested Mayank Singhvi, the husband of Anissia Batra, the flight attendant, who allegedly jumped off the terrace of her Panchsheel Park home in South Delhi. Mayank — in hiding ever since his wife allegedly committed suicide on Friday — has been arrested on charges of harassment for dowry and forcing his wife to commit suicide under Section 304 B of the Indian Penal Code. He will be produced before the concerned court on Tuesday, said officials. Police got the autopsy done for the second time by a medical board at AIIMS and procedure was videographed. Second autopsy was necessitated in the light of the allegations of the family members of the deceased, a senior police officer said. Police officials involved in the probe said they are reconstructing the events that could have led to the death of Anissia, 32, who was employed with a German airline. “We may go for a dummy test to ascertain whether she jumped from the terrace of her fourth floor house or was pushed to death,” the official said. Earlier, senior officers of the Delhi Police visited the Panchsheel Park house of Anissia. Officials examined the terrace from where she reportedly jumped to death while the team of forensic experts surveyed the spot. Though police had lifted relevant exhibits, a forensic team has been called to reconstruct the scene of crime, said officials. Earlier, the Delhi Police had also issued a lookout circular (LOC) against the husband of the deceased, police said on Monday. The LOC has now become infructuous after the arrest of the accused, a police official said. Anissia’s family members alleged that she was physically and mentally tortured by her husband Mayank for dowry. Her father, a retired Army Major General, had even filed a complaint with police in June accusing the Singhvis of  harassing his daughter for dowry. The family alleged that Anissia had been tortured since she married Mayank, a software engineer in 2016. He is an alcoholic who often beat her up and demanded money, the family members alleged. In the complaint filed on June 27, Anissia’s father had alleged that she was tortured by her husband and in-laws. “If she is physically harmed, her husband and his parents should be held responsible,” Major Gen (Retd) RS Batra had then written in his complaint. Her family members alleged on Tuesday that she was murdered. Anissia’s brother Karan Batra alleged, “My sister has died. We are looking for justice. They used to hit her. They have some political links. My sister had sent a series of messages to us before she died. Nobody from his family called us to inform about her death,” he alleged. “My sister messaged us to call the police. She said Mayank had locked her in a room and because of him my life is going to go. We don’t know if he pushed her or she jumped, but we have been trying to get them arrested and police aren’t helping,” he told reporters. Karan said though police have sealed the apartment and locked the room, “Mayank went in on Saturday night using a spare key and removed all the evidence”. “Last month, my parents had to come from Chandigarh. Mayank even hit my mother. My father filed a complaint on June 27. They had to go back because of my mother’s medical condition,” Karan told reporters. Police have taken possession of Mayank’s luxury car, Anissia’s diamond ring and their mobile phones. The forensic team had picked up articles for tests. The events that led to her death will be reconstructed, police added. Police have also sought the details of the deceased and her husband’s bank accounts and they will be sealed. Three days ago, Mayank allegedly told police that he had received a text message from his wife, threatening to kill herself. He was at home at that time, but by the time he reached the terrace, she had already jumped, he told police. When he took her to a hospital, she was declared brought dead. “It has been revealed that Annisia and Mayank had an argument on Friday as well, following which Anissia jumped from the terrace, police said. A police team has been formed to investigate the incident and further action will be initiated against the accused on the basis of the probe findings,” officials said.

Related Articles

Back to top button