The women of Dang village in Uttarkashi district reiterated their commitment to protecting the forests and environment on the anniversary of Chipko movement on Tuesday.
Headed by the village Pradhan Rajni Nath, Van Panchayat Sarpanch Sulochana Kaluda and Mahila Mangal Dal head Kusum Gusain, the women of Dang went to the village jungle and tied rakhis on the trees there, reiterating their commitment to protect the forests, wildlife and environment.
It is pertinent to mention here that every year on March 26 to mark the anniversary of Chipko movement and on Rakshabandhan, Republic Day, Independence Day and other important festivals and occasions, the villagers of Dang congregate in the jungle and reiterate their commitment to protect the environment.
During 1977-78, noted environmentalist Sunderlal Bahuguna had joined the villagers of Dang in Chipko movement to protect their jungle from being felled. The residents of Dang have been protecting the maintaining the forest as their heritage.
Wednesday, 27 March 2019 |PNS| Dehradun
You might also like
- Don’t make it prestige issue: Vardhan to Didi June 15, 2019
- Doctors adamant on Didi’s apology June 15, 2019
- Reject free ride plan, it’ll lead to bankruptcy: Metro Man to Modi June 15, 2019
- Speak Bengali if you want to stay in Bengal, says Mamata June 15, 2019
- Mi-17 to drop ITBP team at Nanda Devi East base camp June 15, 2019