Two jolts of earthquake were experienced in the Uttarkashi district on Thursday morning. Though the tremors caused panic among the people who came out of their homes and other buildings, there were no reports of damage in the district, according to information provided by the State Emergency Operation Centre (SEOC).
According to official sources, the epicentre of the quake was at Gadiyara, located between Dunda and Bhatwadi blocks of Uttarkashi district. The first jolt was experienced at 11:23 AM followed by the second at 11:58 AM.
As per data provided by the Indian Meteorological Department, the magnitude of the first tremor measured 2.8 on the Richter scale while that of the second tremor measured 3.5 on the Richter scale. The focus of the earthquake was five kilometres below the surface of the earth. The incident response system has been activated.
There were no reports of any damage from the district following the tremors, according to the SEOC.
Friday, 01 February 2019 | PNS | Dehradun
You might also like
- Shah to head BJP till polls in Maha, Haryana, J’khand June 14, 2019
- Striking doctors defy Mamata’s ultimatum June 14, 2019
- Farmers to pay Rs 100/month for Rs 3,000/month pension June 14, 2019
- CM reviews Kumbh Mela 2021 preparations June 14, 2019
- CM seeks details of issues to be raised in NITI Aayog meeting June 14, 2019