Two jolts of earthquake were experienced in the Uttarkashi district on Thursday morning. Though the tremors caused panic among the people who came out of their homes and other buildings, there were no reports of damage in the district, according to information provided by the State Emergency Operation Centre (SEOC).
According to official sources, the epicentre of the quake was at Gadiyara, located between Dunda and Bhatwadi blocks of Uttarkashi district. The first jolt was experienced at 11:23 AM followed by the second at 11:58 AM.
As per data provided by the Indian Meteorological Department, the magnitude of the first tremor measured 2.8 on the Richter scale while that of the second tremor measured 3.5 on the Richter scale. The focus of the earthquake was five kilometres below the surface of the earth. The incident response system has been activated.
There were no reports of any damage from the district following the tremors, according to the SEOC.
Friday, 01 February 2019 | PNS | Dehradun
You might also like
- DMK gives Congress 10 seats in TN, Puducherry February 21, 2019
- MBS backs India’s war on terror February 21, 2019
- Speaker forms committee on District Level Development Authority February 21, 2019
- Waste to energy policy ready for waste management: Min February 21, 2019
- Roads, health services in pathetic condition: Indira Hridayesh February 21, 2019