Scholarship scam: HC sets case for hearing on Feb 18
Hearing on the alleged scam amounting to Rs 500 crore in the provision of scholarships to SC-ST students through the Social Welfare department, the High Court of Uttarakhand set the next date of hearing on February 18. The case was heard by the division bench of chief justice Ramesh Ranganathan and justice RC Khulbe.
It will be recalled that Statehood activist, Dehradun resident Ravinder Jugran had filed a public interest litigation in the high court stating that the social welfare department had not disbursed scholarship to thousands of SC-ST students in the State from the funds received for this purpose from the Centre.
Stating that the scam amounted to about Rs 500 crore, he had sought a CBI inquiry into the matter. The Chief Minister had directed a special investigation team probe into the matter in 2017 with the report to be submitted in three months but no action was taken against the guilty.
Earlier, the State Government had informed the court that on December 1, 2018, the SIT had lodged a case under section 420 of IPC regarding the anomalies in the matter in Haridwar and Dehradun districts.
Hearing on the bail petition of main accused in the national highway 74 scam, DP Singh and Sudhir Chawla, the high court did not provide any relief to them on Monday. Hearing on the bail applications, the single bench of justice Manoj Kumar Tiwari set the case for hearing next on February 21.
Tuesday, 12 February 2019 | PNS | Nainital
You might also like
- Time to Act- TB is preventable and curable March 25, 2019
- Forty Five Years of Chipko which Brought Uttarakhand Region into Global Focus March 25, 2019
- ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’: Poor watchmen hope for Acche Din March 23, 2019
- Mala Rajya Laxmi Shah, two others file nominations from Tehri March 23, 2019
- Nishank supporters celebrate, factions close ranks to ensure win March 23, 2019