In view of confusion prevailing among some segments of society about the polythene ban, the Municipal Corporation of Dehradun (MCD) has clarified that all polythene bags are banned.
According to the deputy municipal commissioner Rohitash Sharma the banned items include polythene bags, objects made of single-use plastic and polystyrene (thermocol) like plates, bowls, spoons and cups.
The MCD on Thursday conducted a raid at Hanuman Chowk. It penalised a shopkeeper for using the prohibited polythene bags charging a fine of Rs 500 per polythene bag. As 66 polythene bags were ceased, a total of Rs 33,000 was collected as fine.
“We have been warning people with the medium of rallies, events and almost all the other mediums. So we finally decided to take this step,” said Sharma.
When asked about the challan rates on the objects made by plastic and polystyrene he stated that it will be charged according to the particular case.
“We are tackling the situation by keeping in mind the orders which we have received from the government and also from the viewpoint of people,” he added.
Saturday, 09 November 2019 | PNS | Dehradun
You might also like
- Celebratory state foundation week a farce- UKD November 9, 2019
- Latest version of EVMs for Pithoragarh by polls November 9, 2019
- Police detain two after alleged attempt to attack MLA November 9, 2019
- NSUI protests against fee hike November 9, 2019
- SSP chairs crime review meet November 9, 2019