A leopard died a painful death after being trapped in a snare at a site located between the Pantnagar univeristy agroforestry research centre and Haldi Road railway station on Sunday. After receiving information about the big cat ensnared, a team from the forest department reached the site though the leopard had succumbed by then. The body was released from the snare and destroyed as per the regulations after a post mortem examination.
The sub divisional forest officer of Terai Central forest division, Navin Chandra Pant said that the department had received information about a leopard being stuck in the fencing of the university’s agroforestry research centre.
The leopard was a male aged between five to six years. The post mortem was conducted by a team of vets on the spot after which the body was destroyed.
The officials stated that who had laid the snare and for what purpose could not be ascertained.
However, it is being believed that the snare had been laid by some local to trap wild boar. The department has lodged a case and is conducting an inquiry into the matter.
Monday, 14 January 2019 | PNS | Pantnagar–
You might also like
- Missing AN-32 found in ruins June 12, 2019
- Scholarships for 5 crore minority students: Naqvi June 12, 2019
- Pilgrimage centres becoming centres of tourism: Shankaracharya June 12, 2019
- Maharaj meets Patel, discusses tourism plans June 12, 2019
- Two expeditions slated to start today for retrieving bodies of climbers June 12, 2019