A man was killed by an elephant in the Patrampur range of Terai west forest division on Monday night. According to officials, 30-year old labourer Himmat Singh was returning home from Maldhan village in Ramnagar after work at 8 PM on Monday when the incident occurred. An elephant reportedly attacked him, causing his death on the spot. Villagers passing by the route on Tuesday morning spotted his body and informed the forest department and police about it. The forest department and police personnel took the body and sent it for post mortem. Singh left behind his wife and three children.
The Terai west sub divisional officer Shishupal Singh Rawat said that the forest department has stepped up patrolling in the area. The bereaved family was provided a cheque for Rs 10,000 as immediate financial assistance while the remaining amount will be provided by the department as per the regulations. The body was handed over to the family after the post mortem, he added. The SDO and the ranger have also appealed to the villagers to not venture into the wooded areas unnecessarily.
Wednesday, 09 September 2020 | PNS | Haldwani
You might also like
- IPL 2020: Super Victory September 20, 2020
- Amend farm Bills, BKS asks Centre September 20, 2020
- LoP Hridayesh, BJP’s Shams hospitalised after testing positive September 20, 2020
- Covid-19: Record breaking spree of contagion continues in U’khand September 20, 2020
- Prepare for increased movement in coming days: CS September 20, 2020