The Gypsy drivers of Rajaji National Park and Tiger Reserve who were on strike for two days ended their strike after assurance from the authorities. Vehicles were not allowed entry from Chilla, Ranipur, and Motichur for two days but after assurance from the Rajaji director, the Gypsy owners ended their strike.
Following the High Court orders, the number of Gypsy jeeps used for safari purposes had been limited in Corbett and Rajaji National Parks. As per the orders, only 20 vehicles were allowed to go in the national park premises. After the stay secured from the court, the ban on Gypsy jeeps in Corbett exceeding the limit of 20 was lifted but this was not the case in Rajaji. Irked by this decision, the safari association members had called a strike resulting in loss of revenue to the department.
Speaking to The Pioneer, Rajaji director Sanatan Sonkar said, “We have informed the state government officials about the demand of the Gypsy drivers. Talks are on at state level, very soon we will get the solution.”
Vice president of Gypsy welfare society Sanjay Kundaliya said, “It is strange that Uttarakhand government is enforcing two bylaws in same state. When Corbett has facilitated entry of unlimited vehicles as earlier why Rajaji has taken so much time to enforce the same. We are allowed only 20 vehicles which cannot be accepted.”
With the strike the park authorities had incurred a revenue loss of nearly Rs 60,000 since in one day almost Rs 52,000 are collected as revenue from tourists from three gates. The strike ended on second day afternoon. This season it is expected that the number of tourists will outnumber the number of 22937 tourists last year, say the park authorities. Read more posts…
You might also like
- PM Modi to address public rally at Rudrapur on March 28 March 20, 2019
- Police deployment on basis of manpower audit in general election March 20, 2019
- Election commission keeping an eye on high value transactions- Sowjanya March 20, 2019
- BJP leaders pay homage to Parrikar March 20, 2019
- HC directs Govt to reply by March 27 on pharmacist recruitment issue March 20, 2019