HC seeks detailed affidavit from State in SC-ST scholarship scam
In the Rs 500 crore scam in SC-ST scholarship scam, the high court has sought a detailed affidavit from the State by January 7.
On Friday, the SIT head K Manjunath appeared in the court where the division bench was not satisfied with reply submitted in the chief secretary’s affidavit.
The chief secretary’s affidavit comprised report of the probe by the chief secretary and Social Welfare secretary. Manjunath informed the court that he had sought information from the district social welfare officer and joint director but it had not been received yet.
The SIT is conducting its probe on the basis of documents provided by general citizens.
Dehradun resident Ravinder Jugran had filed a PIL in the HC stating that funds provided by the Centre for scholarships to SC-ST students in the state was not distributed by the Social Welfare department.
Stating that the case amounts to misuse of government funds and depriving eligible students of scholarship, Jugran had stated that the scam was worth about Rs 500 crore. He had also sought a CBI inquiry into it.
Saturday, 05 January 2019 | PNS | Nainital–
You might also like
- Missing AN-32 found in ruins June 12, 2019
- Scholarships for 5 crore minority students: Naqvi June 12, 2019
- Pilgrimage centres becoming centres of tourism: Shankaracharya June 12, 2019
- Maharaj meets Patel, discusses tourism plans June 12, 2019
- Two expeditions slated to start today for retrieving bodies of climbers June 12, 2019