After a prolonged illness freedom fighter and former Member of Parliament Paripoornand Painuli died on Saturday. Painuli (95 years) would be cremated on Sunday with state honours. He breathed his last in the ONGC hospital on Saturday. Expressing profound grief on death of the Painuli, the chief minister Trivendra Singh Rawat said that his death is a loss for the state.
Renowned journalist Jai Singh Rawat who has authored a book on Painuli said that he was a living legend and was part of an enriching history. He said that Painuli created a history by leading a public movement against the rule of King of Tehri who reigned over Garhwal prior to independence. Rawat added that in the parliamentary elections of 1971, Painuli created another history when he defeated Manvendra Shah, the last King of the Garhwal.
Sunday, 14 April 2019 | PNS | Dehradun
You might also like
- Freedom fighter Paripoornand Painuli dies April 14, 2019
- CM, speaker remember B R Ambedkar on anniversary April 14, 2019
- Many places in U’khand to receive hail and squall April 14, 2019
- Earth Day Network to start Clean Ganga Campaign at Devprayag today April 13, 2019
- Official denies claims of locals on Shishambada Plant April 13, 2019