After a prolonged illness freedom fighter and former Member of Parliament Paripoornand Painuli died on Saturday. Painuli (95 years) would be cremated on Sunday with state honours. He breathed his last in the ONGC hospital on Saturday. Expressing profound grief on death of the Painuli, the chief minister Trivendra Singh Rawat said that his death is a loss for the state.
Renowned journalist Jai Singh Rawat who has authored a book on Painuli said that he was a living legend and was part of an enriching history. He said that Painuli created a history by leading a public movement against the rule of King of Tehri who reigned over Garhwal prior to independence. Rawat added that in the parliamentary elections of 1971, Painuli created another history when he defeated Manvendra Shah, the last King of the Garhwal.
Sunday, 14 April 2019 | PNS | Dehradun
You might also like
- Missing AN-32 found in ruins June 12, 2019
- Scholarships for 5 crore minority students: Naqvi June 12, 2019
- Pilgrimage centres becoming centres of tourism: Shankaracharya June 12, 2019
- Maharaj meets Patel, discusses tourism plans June 12, 2019
- Two expeditions slated to start today for retrieving bodies of climbers June 12, 2019