Conducting a special drive in Chalthi area of Champawat district, the police and special operation group (SOG) arrested two wildlife criminals with two leopard pelts. According to the district police, late on Thursday evening, the joint team of police and SOG stopped two men in a luxury vehicle at the Chalti police post barrier. Two leopard pelts were recovered from the duo. The joint team took the action based on tip off received from informants.
The duo caught by the police has been identified as Ajay Tamta and Khushal Mehra- both residents of Khatima in Udham Singh Nagar district. According to the police, the two accused had purchased the leopard pelts at cheap rates from one man in Lohaghat and were intending to sell the same for a good profit in the plains. They had booked a vehicle and were travelling from Lohaghat to Tanakpur. The driver of the vehicle was not aware of the contraband the duo was carrying. The pelts measure about eight and seven feet considering which the age of the leopards is being estimated at nine and seven years respectively. For necessary legal action, the two men and the leopard pelts were handed over to the forest department.
Saturday, 27 June 2020 | PNS | Haldwani
You might also like
- China sitting pretty September 23, 2020
- Minister Dhan Singh, Cong deputy leader, BJP MLA test positive for Covid September 23, 2020
- 11 deaths, 874 new Covid-19 cases in U’khand September 23, 2020
- Doctors withdraw OPD boycott call September 23, 2020
- About 1/3 of GDMC staff infected with Covid-19 September 23, 2020