Chairing a review meeting ahead of Kanwad Mela here on Monday, the director general (law and order) Ashok Kumar said that state police is geared up for the Kanwad Mela which is officially beginning from Tuesday.
He said closure of Lakshman Jhula in Rishikesh by PWD was a major challenge which the police will have to face while managing traffic this year. Speaking to the media persons he said that strict vigilance will be maintained during the Kanwad Mela while at sensitive locations extra check posts have will be set up. With about three crore visitors expected in the Kanwad Mela, 29 police support centres have been made to facilitate the pilgrims.
Talking about the challenges during the fair he said earlier Kanwadias going towards Neelkanth Mahadev temple in Rishikesh used to cross from Lakshman Jhula and return from Ram Jhula but this time since Lakshman Jhula is closed the Ram Jhula will be used as entry point and the barrage route will be used as the return route. The biggest challenge will come in the last two days when Dak Kanwad begins since Ram Jhula does not suffice for motorbike Kanwads who come in major numbers.
Tuesday, 16 July 2019 | PNS | Haridwar
You might also like
- Bulbul kills 10 in Bengal, 1.8L evacuated November 11, 2019
- JP Nadda to reach Doon on Nov 15 November 11, 2019
- MP Tirath Singh Rawat & others hurt after car flips over November 11, 2019
- Kailashanand to contribute Rs 11 lakh for Ram temple November 11, 2019
- ABAP flays AIMIM chief’s statement over verdict November 11, 2019