The Uttarakhand Forest Department team seized Khair wood estimated to be worth Rs 2,00,000. The persons involved in smuggling of the wood managed to escape after abandoning their vehicle.
The Dauli forest range officer Anil Joshi informed that the department had received a tip off provided by an informant about a vehicle transporting illegal Khair wood. The department stepped up the level of alertness and started checking of vehicles on the Haldwani-Kichha highway at the Shantipuri barrier. During the morning at about 8:30 AM, when the department staff hailed a vehicle to halt the driver accelerated towards Kichha. The departmental team chased the vehicle and managed to corner it near Gokulnagar. Finding himself trapped, the driver abandoned the vehicle on the roadside and escaped from the site. When the staff checked the vehicle, they found 32 pieces of Khair wood. The department team lodged case against the vehicle owner under the Forest Act for smuggling of Khair wood and seized the contraband and vehicle. Joshi further informed that the department is searching for the vehicle owner and persons involved in smuggling of the wood.
Tuesday, 26 March 2019 |PNS| Haldwani
You might also like
- Missing AN-32 found in ruins June 12, 2019
- Scholarships for 5 crore minority students: Naqvi June 12, 2019
- Pilgrimage centres becoming centres of tourism: Shankaracharya June 12, 2019
- Maharaj meets Patel, discusses tourism plans June 12, 2019
- Two expeditions slated to start today for retrieving bodies of climbers June 12, 2019