In support of the demand for 10 percent horizontal reservation in the government jobs for them and some other issues, the statehood activists held a massive demonstration here on Tuesday. Their attempt to march towards the residence of the chief minister Trivendra Singh Rawat, was however, thwarted by a big posse of the police personnel.
The activists gathered at the Parade Ground on the day and started their proposed march to the CM’s residence. When they neared Hathibadkala police station, they were stopped by police personnel led by the superintendent of police (SP) city, Sweta Chaubey. As they were stopped heated arguments broke out and the agitators sat on a dharna on the road.
The speakers on the occasion questioned the attitude of the state government vis-as-vis their plight and said that it has been maintaining a stony silence after the Supreme Court (SC) had struck down the 10 percent horizontal reservation for the statehood activists. They said that in the absence of any support, the statehood activists are being forced to raise money from among them to fight the case in SC.
The activists threatened to intensify their agitation in the coming days. They also demanded Gairsain be declared the permanent capital of the state at the earliest.
Wednesday, 06 February 2019 | PNS | Dehradun
You might also like
- DMK gives Congress 10 seats in TN, Puducherry February 21, 2019
- MBS backs India’s war on terror February 21, 2019
- Speaker forms committee on District Level Development Authority February 21, 2019
- Waste to energy policy ready for waste management: Min February 21, 2019
- Roads, health services in pathetic condition: Indira Hridayesh February 21, 2019