The chief electoral officer Sowjanya presided over a workshop held for media persons in view of the Lok Sabha elections. She said that the media also plays an important role in the elections. Referring to the cVIGIL application, she said that necessary action will be ensured within 100 minutes of complaint lodged by anyone regarding violation of the model code of conduct.
Advertisement monitoring committee member Subhash Gupta spoke on various aspects of paid news.
He also spoke in detail about the detrimental effects of paid news and identification of paid news. Gupta said that paid news can influence the voters which is detrimental to democracy. Strict measures have been taken by the Election Commission of India to tackle this, as a result of which the phenomenon of paid news has been brought under control to quite an extent.
Officials informed on the occasion that by January 31, 2019, about 1,16,000 new voters had been registered in the state of which more than 42,000 are first time voters.
Saturday, 16 March 2019 | PNS | Dehradun
You might also like
- Films over fame: Janhvi Kapoor March 19, 2019
- Pramod succeeds Parrikar as CM March 19, 2019
- New Fujifilm mirrorless digital camera now in India March 19, 2019
- Death of an icon March 19, 2019
- First-time voters sound excited about voting for the first time March 19, 2019