Adesh Gupta made Delhi BJP chief, tribal leader Vishnu Sai Chhattisgarh’s
The BJP on Tuesday replaced actor-turned-politician Manoj Tiwari as the president of the Delhi unit of the party with Adesh Kumar Gupta, a former mayor of North Delhi Municipal Corporation. According to party insiders, the appointment of Gupta is being interpreted as a sign that the BJP is once again looking for its old core support of the Vaishya community.
Gupta was born in Uttar Pradesh and has had a long association with the ABVP and BJP’s youth organisation BJYM. Tiwari had offered to quit after the BJP lost to the AAP in the Delhi Assembly polls and his three-year term was also over.
In Chhattisgarh, the BJP appointed Vishnu Deo Sai — a tribal leader and former Union Minister who is a regional heavyweight with past tenure as the State party chief — as its State unit president, the party said in a statement. His appointment also underscores the party’s attempt to win over tribal votes which is seen to have drifted from it.
In another appointment, the party made S Tikendra Singh its Manipur State BJP president.
These are the first important organisational appointments in the BJP after the coronavirus outbreak curbed political activities and the party primarily focussed on steering relief work for people affected by the lockdown.
Wednesday, 03 June 2020 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
You might also like
- Deepika arrives in Mumbai for NCB quizzing tomorrow September 25, 2020
- From Rail Roko to Bharat Bandh September 25, 2020
- Magnitude of Kumbh Mela will depend on Covid situation: DG (L&O) September 25, 2020
- Covid-19: 13 deaths, 684 new cases reported in U’khand September 25, 2020
- Modi govt the biggest well wisher of farmers: Rawat September 25, 2020